Two award-winning professors, a former admissions officer at a major university (now a counselor at a prestigious high school), and a gifted high school senior (now in the throes of the college admissions process himself) team up to offer you over 600 tips, techniques, and strategies that will help you get in to the college of your choice.
Comprehensive, yet easy-to-read, this book will teach you:
- How to size up the colleges you’re considering—and get a hold of a coherent list.
- What are college nights, college fairs, and college rep visits—and how you’ll use each to your advantage.
- What are “holistic”, “contextualized”, and “legacy” admissions—and how each can give you the results you want.
- How some schools count “demonstrated interest”—and how you’ll make the most of this little-known fact.
- What are Early Decision, Early Action, and Single-Choice Early Action—and whether any is best for you.
- How to figure out the true costs of college, and what is the difference between “need-” and “merit-based” aid.
- What it means when colleges say they meet “100% of demonstrated financial aid” and what “loan-free” means.
- When and how to make campus visits—and what to do on each.
- How to prepare for each section of the ACT or SAT—and how to increase your scores.
- What admissions officers are in search of in your application—and how to give it to them.
- How to write the all-important Common App essay—and present your extra-curricular activities.
- How to prepare for an alumni interview—and present yourself in the best light.
- Whom to ask for letters-of-recommendation—and how to help them write the best conceivable letter.
- How to compare your final offers—and, in some cases, substantially toughen them.
- When you should wait out the “wait list”—and when not.
- -and much, much more.
When you understand the college admissions process, you’ll maximize your chance of success. Why not put yourself ahead of the pack?